Thursday, October 17, 2013

8 and 9 month update



We thought things would calm down once the semester started because we wouldn't be traveling as much as we did during the summer. But it has been a busy busy semester so far. So here's to updating the last 2 months.

8 month stats:
Weight: 17 lbs. 10 oz.  (46%)

9 month stats:
Weight: 18 lbs. 4 oz.  (45%)
Height: Coming soon! Dr. apt next week!
Head circumference:  Coming soon! Dr. apt next week!

Developmental milestones: 2 teeth, speed demon crawling, cruising on furniture, climbing stairs, standing unassisted for 30 seconds at a time, took 1 unassisted step.


About a week after her first tooth popped up, her second one emerged. She did awesome with both of them...only a little bit of fussiness here and there. We're watching vigilantly for the top teeth, but no signs yet. Brooke likes to put her fingers in her mouth and feel those little chompers. She's bitten me once while nursing but I think I made it pretty clear that it's not ok to bite mommy. She hasn't done it again. But if you put your finger in her mouth...she will definitely bite it.   :-) 



We've got a busy girl with a ton of energy. It keeps Jeff and I on our toes. We've learned how to navigate the stairs. She's great going up, but we're not quite sure how to teach the going down part. Since we don't have carpet on our stairs, we don't think she's going to like sliding down backwards on her belly. 


As soon as Brooke learned how to go up, we installed baby gates. She grabs the bars and looks like she's trying to break out of jail. It's very cute.
Brooke is so curious about everything, we're constantly setting things up on the counters and dressers so she doesn't get into things she shouldn't. But it is cute and such a fun thing to watch her discover her world. She is very vocal and likes to tell us all about her days.


Big Brown Bear is one of Brooke's favorite toys. She rolls all over him on the floor. I imagine one day she'll drag him around with her. Since we sleep trained Brooke at the beginning of the summer, she hasn't napped anywhere but her crib. So it was quite the surprise when she fell asleep on Big Brown Bear. Very precious.

I've noticed that she is developing a love for her stuffed animals. When I put her down in her crib for naps and going to bed at night, she usually cries for a minute or two. But lately she crawls over to her favorite stuffed animal (a lamb) and puts her arm around it, nestles her head into its tummy, and cries herself to sleep. It's simultaneously heart breaking and the cutest thing I've ever seen.
 


Look at this FACE!!! We love this smile. It brightens our days instantly.

Brooke is doing great with her eating. New foods these last 2 months include peaches, pears, yogurt, tofu (which wasn't that good), carrots, cinnamon, and brown rice. She even had some catfish from a local place called Taylor Grocery. She's a southern girl at heart, so we're teaching her the ways of Mississippi. Not that we know, but we've been educated in the year we've been here. I never would have considered catfish to be edible, but I have learned the error of my ways. However, I will probably only ever eat it from Taylor Grocery. It's their specialty.



Brooke attended her first birthday party a few weeks ago. It was super hero themed, so she got to wear a cape and we made a superhero mask.


Daddy and Brooke at the park!



Brooke leaves a trail of stuff wherever she goes. She has learned how to open the drawers and cupboards on our tv stand and likes to take all the DVDs and remotes out. It makes a big mess but we love it. 



Little miss wants to see what's going on all the time. We made cookies last weekend and she just had to be in the middle of it. At 18 pounds, hanging off the front of me is a real killer on my back. But I'd gladly do it again. 

Here was the view from my perspective. One day she'll get to taste the fruit of our labors.  :-)



Brooke is super playful. Lately she's been throwing her head back to look at things upside down. It makes for a great opportunity to give her zerberts on her neck. 



"Helping" in the kitchen. Brooke really likes to take things out of drawers. But she actually tried to put them back in after she pulled everything out today.





We went to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago for a conference. It was the first time Brooke and I flew without Jeff. On one leg of our flight we had the whole row to ourselves, which was AWESOME! Brooke looked like such a big girl sitting in the seat all by herself. 


She played with cookies and toys, and flirted with the people behind us for the whole flight. I think every single person on the plane said goodbye to her as they all got off. On another leg, however, she managed to kick over a little boys ginger ale. I felt really bad.  But I'm sure that won't be the last time she does something like that.





Flying without Jeff is less than enjoyable.














Brooke, we are so in love with you. You bring such a sweet spirit to our family. I love hearing you talk and laugh with daddy and hope that you continue to do that throughout your life. We love seeing your big smiling face when you wake up from naps and in the morning. We fight over who is going to get you out of your crib. I love coming home from school because you crawl as fast as you can straight towards me when I walk through the door. And then we snuggle on the couch for a few minutes before you are off to play and explore some more. I love our quiet times nursing, even at 2 am. Sometimes you play with my hair or my shirt and it makes me laugh. I love that you hum with me while I sing you to sleep at night. Daddy loves his Brooke-time in the morning watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and he loves taking you to the park and looking for fishies and turtles in the pond. You have made our lives so much better and we can't imagine how we lived each day without you. Mommy and daddy love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment