From left to right: Dr. Jennifer Piatt (faculty), Dr. Marieke Van Puymbroeck (faculty), Dr. Jasmine Townsend
Marieke was my advisor throughout this doctoral program and she was the one who hooded me at the ceremony. Hooding is unique to doctoral commencement ceremonies. Below is a picture of my hood, that I will wear to every commencement I attend as a faculty member. The red and white is specific to IU, and the blue is because my degree is in Philosophy. Doctoral gowns are also different than other gowns. They are poofier (a real word) in the sleeves, and have the chevrons on the arms. Plus there is an IU emblem on the front. Our caps are 8-dsided instead of just the regular 4-sided mortar board. And my tassle is short.
So I walked across a stage, shook the hands of the Dean, the President, and a few other important people, then stopped in front of Marieke and she hooded me.
Walking across the stage...
It's a bit blurry, but here are the shots as Marieke hooded me (above and below). She's in the bright blue robes.
With the weight and the length of the robe, it chokes a little bit.
We are right in the middle of this shot. Dead center in the arena too! I might have gotten on the jumbo-tron.
Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Jeff. Thanks for coming out guys! I love you!
Vanna showing off the hood.
The Dad.
A great weekend!


Big time congratulations! -Jess
ReplyDeleteGreat job! You are my hero!
ReplyDelete